View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
i hate to tell you this, ive lived in california and michigan and few people care about texas/ou outside of texas and oklahoma. its the biggest rivalry in the big 12, i'll give you that...

lets do some research...
who started playing each other first?
most played game?
most combined national championships?
most combined heismans?
highest combined winning percentage of the schools?
national opinion, popular and journalistic?
iconic coaches?

the texas state fair gives the red river shootout an unparalleled atmosphere, but that does not make it a bigger rivalry! if that was true you could say the old world's largest outdoor cocktail party would be one of the best!

i think it was the woody/bo dynamic that really galvanized the rivalry and helped make it what it was today. if arkansas hadnt fallen on hard times until recently, i would say that would parallel ou/texas (they still have the fair though).
What iconic coaches are you talking about there are woody and bo for the osu michigan side, and Royal and switzer god i hate to say that and im sure someone else for the UT OU side. Id take the combination of Brown and stoops over tressel and carr now too. The heisman is the most overrated award in sports and it kills me to say that. How does it reflect poorly on UT that the guy who had the best single season in college football history didnt win the award? National opinion popular and journalistic i would say has UT and OU higher since their combined ranking is generally lower than Michigan and OSUs at the begining of the year. As for National titles, its 14 to 13 so not exactly a huge difference there.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote