View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #1838
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Gordon
Horford
Collins
Aldridge
Rubio
Oladipo
Tucker
Fournier
Markkanen
Lowry
Drummond
Reddick
Those are all reasonable targets. Although I'm not sure I even want a few of them.

Quote:
It may be that I am overestimating the value of the expiring contracts of JJ and THJ, as well as the reasonable contracts of WCS, Burke, and Iwundu (maybe even Powell, if the incoming salary was for multiple years),
I think they are tradeable assets, but the catch is I don't think anyone wants to give up value for an expiring contract alone. So if we're going to trade JJ or THJ, I think a package would probably also have to include something like say Brunson, Green, and two second rounders. Would you give that up for any of the guys on that list? I would for only a couple of them- Collins is a no brainer. Lowry is still really good, but he's very old and he's also a free agent at the end of the year, so there's not much incentive for Toronto to trade him for an expiring contract. The other guys on that list are all pretty "meh" to me, and would probably fetch more on the open market than the Mavs can offer anyway.

Everyone needs to realize that it is 100% a seller's market right now. I mean, look what the Pelicans got for Jrue Holiday.

On that note, we really, really, really need at least one of the guys we drafted to become a productive NBA player. We're not going to be competitive in trades without at least one promising young prospect.

Quote:
but given the realities you point out it may be the Mavs are stuck for the next couple of years and the most we can hope for is that KP stays healthy and reaches his potential as a legitimate #2. If so, then prayers are more important than looking for a trade partner.
Sadly, I think this is it. I'm leaning very heavily toward the "prayers" scenario. KP essentially fell out of the sky for us. He was disgruntled and the Knicks were all star-eyed about the possibility of signing Durant and Kyrie. I worry that the only way we're going to be title contenders is if someone else falls out of the sky too.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-17-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote