View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Five questions with Mavericks guard O.J. Mayo:
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-trade-targets

Q: Describe this groove you're in right now.

A: It feels good because I've been working hard. Even my years in Memphis on the bench, I understood that one day I'd get the time and moment to be able to show what I can do.

But I told Coach [Rick] Carlisle when I came here: "Stay on top of me, please, even when I have a good game, make me a better player." I just want to prove that I can win. Playing good like this, you still have to win games. That's most important.

Q: When I watched you [in Tuesday's home rout of Sacramento], you looked as confident as I've ever seen you letting the ball go. It just looked like you released it with a look on your face like there was no way in the world you could miss. Is that what's going through your mind when you're shooting the ball these days?

A: It comes from knowing where your shots are going to come from on a night-in, night-out basis. I practice those shots at night, before practice, during practice, after practice. So when you get in the game … the game is moving pretty slow to me right now.

Q: How upset were you in the summer that you basically came out of free agency with a one-year deal? (Editor's note: Mayo's contract includes a $4.2 million player option for the 2013-14 season.

A: Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. But at the end of the day, it's a business. People say that's how the market was, whatever that means. It's all good, man. I'm happy that I got the opportunity to talk to Dallas and come to Dallas. I just wanted to come here, give my all and play well here. And hopefully stay here.

Q: What do you say to the people around town who've suggested that you won't be able to score like this when Dirk [Nowitzki] comes back and you're not the No. 1 option?

A: I think it's going to be easier. [Defenses] pay a lot of attention to Dirk. He's a great player. You saw JET [Jason Terry], Mike Finley … off guards [who played] well off of him. The thing about it is, I can shoot, too. So playing off of him, he can make plays for me and I can make plays for him.

It's not like I'm trying to dominate the ball. Working together, man. I've been a starter. I've come off the bench. I understand what it takes to have every guy working together.

Q: The 3-ball is obviously working better than ever for you. How often do you take a peek at the stats to see where you are?

A: I try not to.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote