Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #72
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
If players stuck around for any amount of time I might put some stock into the idea of development. I tend to watch the prospects starting their senior year and summer ball... you know the franchise altering talent when you see it. Last year you had the best freshman class in a decade. This year you have 3-4 players who have star potential that warrants going "all in". Is it guaranteed that they fulfill their potential? No, but I would argue it's much more favorable than hoping you land a superstar FA or Leonard/Mitchell prospect. Can you do it? Sure, but it would be much less risky to just commit to getting a top 5 pick.

With DSJ and Alton, you have a very good chance to compete in 3 years.
Agreed. But I guess I'm not as on board with the side that thinks we got lucky with DSJ at 9. And I think you semi-agree since you said that draft was 9 deep. I am saying I think this draft has the same potential, and that we are getting carried away by the top end talent. However, that top end talent is definitely better than last year, so I get what you're saying.

I just think it will be very hard to get into the top 4-5 given just how much worse off other teams are, and it appears it is going to get even more crowded given injuries around the league. I'm just not sold this FO and roster is going to get there. Sucks, but that's the state of where we stand among the absolutely terrible teams out there. I think we end up around 6-8 and grab a really good piece to develop along with Barnes and DSJ.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote