View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #92
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I am looking at a Romanian Dragonov Sniper Rifle right now. Just undecided if I want to drop $800 on a sniper rifle for him (when I am the one who wants it). I am also looking at some SKS in 7.62 and a couple of mini 14's in .223.
When you say "Romanian Dragunov", are you referring to the 7.62x54 "PSL" weapon? I have considered one as well primarily because it will be available for a short time, sale out, and then climb in value as the supply is gone. The other nice thing about that gun is that it shoots the very cheapest surplus military ammo on the planet right now.... Downside is what Jefelump noted: it has a stamped receiver. The AK47 design originally used stamped receivers. The Russians kept track of how many times they had been shot and scheduled the guns for destruction (or at least schedule to replace the receiver). But, then the various countries with these weapons discovered that the eager US Market would buy these guns that were scheduled for destruction. So, that is always my fear with an original AK47 inspired gun with an original stamped receiver. I very much prefer the guns that have a new US made milled steel receiver with the parts kit coming from Romania or elsewhere... So, I haven't bought one. Eventually, the various US companies that make clone receivers will make a milled steel receiver for that gun. Then, I'll be very interested...

Consider the Yugoslavian M76 "Sniper" 8 mm AK47 type gun. They had the cheap stamped receivers as well. But, Ohio Rapid Firearms makes a milled steel receiver for them. You can get one of those with a receiver that will last hundreds of years if cared for. J&G Sales (jgsales.com) is advertising that gun for 1750 dollars in the Shotgun News. I can't find it online at J&G. But, you can get the complete kit WITH the American receiver at ORF (Ohio Rapid Firearms) much cheaper. You just need someone to put it together.

I am not a fan of the SKS. Just my opinion. They are sloppy, inaccurate guns. The Russians made some that are reportedly more accurate. But, the Yugo I once owned disgusted me and I sold it off.

Ruger has made huge improvements in the mini Ranch and mini 30. They offer the "Target" model now. Basically, Ruger noted how many aftermarket companies were taking their guns and improving them for good money. So, Ruger started making the improvements themselves. However, A Ruger Mini Ranch Target gun will cost you more than the Dragunov you were looking at.

An old standard Ruger Ranch .223 is not a very accurate gun. I'm not a fan of it either. But, that is just my opinion.

If a gun isn't accurate, I don't keep it. Can't stand sloppy, inaccurate guns, or guns that malfunction.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote