View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #108
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Some don't view it as a mistake...

Hell, it could be argued that we could be much improved with Francisco/Ogando as the closer, Greinke in Lee's spot via trade, Feliz in Hunter's spot, and an abundance of offense brought in with the money we were going to spend on Lee IF he leaves (maybe Dunn for DH AND someone like Konerko). I hope we sign Lee, trade for Greinke, AND get one big bat in here, but I also realize this isn't being played out on PS3.

We shall see indeed...
I don't really see how JoPos' article (which was a great read btw) works as an admonition that Feliz should be a starter. It just argues that he should be used differently, and I agree.

BBTIA had some quotes from Jason Parks about Feliz this morning. I really respect Parks' opinions of the Rangers, as he's a legitimate scout that spends a lot of time following the Rangers. Here was his take:

Quote:
"Feliz threw 80 percent fastballs last year. He barely touched the curveball, which used to be his best [secondary pitch]. At this point, his fastball is solid, but his curveball is underdeveloped, so it will take time to refine. His transition wouldn't be as smooth as people think it would be. He would need half a season in AAA, if not more.

"I'm not sure it's the right time, and I know his stuff isn't ready for two, three, or four passes through a lineup. Big league hitters will eventually adjust to fastball-heavy pitchers after seeing it a few times. His change-up is very good, but he deploys it in a closer's sequence, and he goes to it more against left-handed hitters, obviously. How does that change-up play off a fastball that isn't 98 mph? How do those pitches pair after multiple passes? Where does the curveball fit in? Development doesnt just happen because the fanbase thinks its a good idea. The Rangers know Feliz's arm. They will make the right call. Fans aren't privy to the right info. Period."

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote