View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #117
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Regarding Jason - sounds like a cocky little shit, but that's just my take on his post. I understand he throws fastball heavy, but I would think that is what is required out of a closer. Didn't Washington and Maddux tell him to go after guys instead of nibbling? That wasn't all fastball nibbling early on. My point is that he CAN throw the other pitches but simply hasn't because that type of a role doesn't (shouldn't) get too fancy - if you have overpowering stuff for 3 hitters, you get them out with it.

Bottom line, while there would most definitely be a transition period (though I think his talent would help jump that gap better than most), what better time than now. Why waste prime years of him as a starter when there are other guys available that can or even have been successful at his role?

To me it is an absolute no brainer to give him the same chance we gave CJ. IF he proves in spring training he can't handle it, fine, keep him as the closer (at least until the next year when I will want to try again), but damn it - let the kid try. How many thought CJ would do this well?

*crickets*

*crickets*
Oh JParks is quite cocky. No doubt. But he's also a professional scout that has spent a ton of time around the Rangers farm system, especially the guys that were coming up around the time that Feliz and Elvis were.

I'm not saying that means you take it as gospel, just presenting it as information to consider.

And I'm not necessarily opposed to giving him another shot in spring training. But I don't consider the comparison to CJ to be very valid. CJ's repertoire is light years ahead of Neffy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
FWIW - I just looked on that same site and David Murphy is listed as 7th for LF defense, just behind Hamilton who is 6th...

Link...
Well, to be fair, he's just behind in the rankings but quite a bit behind on the actual point totals.

And I don't have much quibble with that. I'd be curious to see where they'd rank Borbon in left. I suspect it would be quite high, especially considering his arm doesn't hurt him much there.

And on the flip side, I feel pretty confident in saying that Murphy would be positioned as below average in center by anyone that would vote on this. He just doesn't have the range for center.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-29-2010 at 02:28 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote