View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #148
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yeah but he is using his IQ to make up for his size the same way Chris Paul does. We are gonna keep him. Losing an asset like that for nothing would be much worse.
I get what you're saying, but this is only one game. Being able to deliver consistently against high level competition is what's important. Brunson is a defensive liability who disappears against athletic length on defense. I think it's still way too premature to be doling out $20m/yr to Brunson, but unfortunately, the Mavs aren't going to get too many more looks at him during the playoffs before signing him. Everybody got all excited when THJ had a couple of hot shooting nights in the playoffs against the LAC, and now we are stuck with him and his contract. :-( $40m/yr for a small guard whose a defensive liability paired with a streaky, black hole with no defense is a cap disaster in the making, and I'm not bagging on Luka, but those 3 together are going to be a huge liability on defense, and that's going to be what $70m/yr? That's crazy.

The Mavs need a big man and some bigger ball handlers. IMO, Brunson's spot isn't worth more than $15m/yr. I'd rather have $20m+ tied up in a productive big. You can't teach size. Now, if we didn't have THJ and his contract, then I'd be more onboard with keeping Brunson, but THJ and his contract are like a grenade in this scenario long-term. He needs to go.

Last edited by turin; 04-19-2022 at 12:46 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote