View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I am murky about legislative procedure, but I don't think the Senate has passed anything yet, right? (I don't really follow the news, so I probably missed a bunch of stuff.) In my mind, if there was a Senate budget that mirrored the House budget but minus the PP stuff, then the shutdown would be contingent on this issue.

Nevertheless assuming this is what is holding everything up, PP operates on about $1 billion, of which government grants only provide about a third. PP will still have funding. The government is broke over-spending by about $1.3 trillion per year, and battle-lines have been drawn over less than 0.03% of that... which is preventing a 1% reduction in spending. Anyone else feel like they're watching a really bad soap opera? If this were a family spending $13,000 too much every year, they'd be getting a thermo-nuclear divorce over a venti Starbucks. And even if they agreed on that one cup of coffee, they'd still be $12,870 in the hole.

And maybe neither here nor there, but 11.4 million for total services is almost 4x as many patients that PP sees. NPR reports PP has around 3 million patients. The number of in-clinic abortions alone is closer to 10% of its patient base. The pie chart seems to me like saying "I only speed 3% of the day so I'm not a speeder" (which happens to be my entire 45-minute commute every single day).

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 04-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote