View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 06:38 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I know I am in the minority, but I have no interest in a playoff and think it will ruin the game of college football. But then I went to one of the schools that will be left out in the cold.

But specifically, blowing up college football as we know it will be all about money. Therefore, suggesting 8 12-team conferences is too many. College administrators won't want to share the playoff money with 90+ teams. Texas and OU won't want to share with Baylor or SMU.

Second, 8 regular season games is far too few. The lifeblood of the financially sound programs is attendance and 4 home games won't allow most teams to break even. They don't build 70,000 seat stadiums to be used 4 times a year. And again, if you are splitting playoff revenue among 90+ teams, that just isn't viable with only 4 home dates a year.

Finally, at some level, college sports are about the fan, and even sometimes the student. Most fans can afford to travel once to a bowl game (and tourism revenue is the real point of a bowl game, anyway), but I question the ability of the average college football fan or student to travel on an extended basis. And without the fan, there isn't much point in tradition, and without tradition, college football is just the minor leagues.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote