Thread: 2020 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #151
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my five most underrated guys in the 2020 draft. Before I begin, a bit of a not-so-humble brag. Last May I posted my five underrated guys for the 2019 draft:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Five Underrated Players to Watch

1) Tyler Herro - kid may not have the ideal frame, but he can absolutely shoot lights out... his ability to shoot off screens seals the deal for me

2) Keldon Johnson - smooth small forward reminiscent of Jayson Tatum... more advanced skillset than Reddish and Little

3) Daniel Gafford - said it above, but his defensive versatility and rim-running is exactly what you need from a center

4) Brandon Clarke - undersized, but his motor, timing, and tenacity are all elite.. like Gafford fits the role of the modern 5 very well

5) Matisse Thybulle - elite perimeter defender with higher offensive upside than Andre Roberson

Needless to say, I killed it:

Tyler Herro averaged 13 ppg on 43/39/87 splits. He's averaging 16 in the playoffs and playing over 30 mpg for the Heat.

Keldon Johnson ended the season with two back-to-back 24-point performances. He averaged 14.1 points on 64% shooting in the bubble. He also averaged 1.4 threes on 65% from downtown. He even managed to get some praise from Pop.

Daniel Gafford led all rookies in blocks and shot over 70% from the field as one of the few bright spots on the Bulls.

Brandon Clarke finished 4th in rookie of the year voting.

Matisse Thybulle is already one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

Should the Mavs hire me and pay me to watch more Youtube highlights from home? Yes. Nonetheless I'll continue to share my guru-like armchair scout revelations for free dissemination to the masses. I digress. Without further ado:

Five Underrated Players

1) Isaiah Stewart -> I've been on the Isaiah Stewart bandwagon for quite some time now. Every time I see his film I just can't imagine him not succeeding in the league. He's absolutely tenacious and relentless, but also has moments showcasing finesse and touch. He will have a consistent midrange jumper in the NBA, he shot 77% from the line with over six attempts a game. And, he brought his best against the best:

29 & 12 vs. Arizona.
16 & 7 & 2 blocks/ 2 steals vs. Arizona.
23 & 8 & 4 blocks vs. Colorado.
25 & 19 & 5 blocks & 2 steals vs. Oregon
21 & 10 vs. Gonzaga

2) Kira Lewis -> I think he's the first point off the board, but I still find that he's underrated by fans. He's a lot like Ja Morant.

3) Immanuel Quickley -> was written off by a lot of people after his poor freshman year, but the guy shot 43% from deep and over 92% from the line on over 5 attempts a game. He's also quick laterally and a legitimately good on ball defender. He would be straight fire with someone like Luka. He's great at getting open and into passing lanes.

4) Jahmi'us Ramsey -> one of the youngest players in the draft (just turned 19 in June) but a very skilled combo guard who can score at all three levels. Not crazy athletic, but his finishing skills remind me a bit of Donovan Mitchell. He'll take some time, but I see him being a complete player at the next level. He's strong, crafty, can finish with both hands, and has a consistent shooting stroke.

5) Tyrell Terry -> kid can just plain shoot. He can shoot off screen, shoot spotting up, shoot off the dribble.... kid can shoot. He's also craftier than you think around the rim, where he made over 60% of his shots. His size will be an issue in pick and roll defense, but if he dedicates himself to improving lateral quickness and fighting around screens he can be a steal.

Last edited by tap2390; 09-05-2020 at 07:22 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote