Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 02:23 AM   #33
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Warriors are playing championship basketball and if they keep playing at this level (and I am not sure they will), then not many teams would beat them in a seven game series. That being said, they have exposed the #1 and #2 Mavs weaknesses, being they have no rim protector and are a poor rebounding team. We all knew this and it is not surprising that a smart, athletic team like the Warriors would exploit these deficiencies and create a huge mountain to climb for the Mavs.

I am going to go against the grain here a bit and say the Mavs can still make this a competitive series if they make can shoot the three-point shot at about a 40-45% clip. I realize they did this in game #2, but that was just weird they could go that cold in the second half after shooting so well in the first and second quarters. Sure, take the ball to the basket and do some post-ups with Luka. But, in the end this team lives and dies from beyond the arc, so I wouldn't imagine they could reinvent themselves at this point in time. If they shoot 20 something % from three, well that is just how the ball bounces.

Moving forward, it is obvious the MBT needs two or three players who can provide some interior defense and rebound. But, I am not sure what's the best path to get there (draft, trade, FA market). Otherwise, it's just throw up the threes and hope for the best.

Here is a maybe crazy idea to shake things up a bit. Start Boban for the first 4-6 minutes of the game instead of Powell. Do the same at the beginning of the third quarter if it works. You don't play him more than 10-12 minutes but his presence might be a head scratcher for the Warriors. Bobi strikes me as a smart player, so he might be able to get some rebounds and score a half dozen points in the post in that time (can Looney guard him?). I think Kidd needs to do something outside the box. This might be one step in that direction.
Anytime someone mentions Boban half the boards frown upon it.

But IMO that move made more sense in the 3rd Qtr of game 2 when you literally couldn't score a single bucket from outside.

Boban would have allowed you to throw the ball in post and score on the Small Warriors easily or draw a foul.

But the real reason why you go with Boban is because Dwight Powell for all the non-sense about him an energy guy and able to switch on defense hasn't provided any of that shit in 3 playoff series now.

Boban gets this unfair criticism about not being able to play long stretches without wearing down. But go back and watch that Clippers series last year he proved to dismiss that theory partly because the Mavs actually used a combination of zone defense doing his 10-12 minutes on the floor each game.

Luka and JJB could honestly save their legs a little if they had someone to actually throw the ball into the post to that score inside a little bit. I also think Boban's size would allow the Mavs to grab more offensive rebounds if not anything else.

I just don't understand the logic of living and dying with Powell as your starting center. I don't care if he's only getting 8-10 minutes per game that is still 8-10 minutes of unproductive play at center and it's 8-10 minutes of poor rebounding and defense in the paint that your automatically giving to the Warriors because you feel like this dude deserves loyalty.

At the end of the day Boban gives you offense and rebounding that Powell doesn't provide and the defense is a wash IMO because Powell is a traffic cone defender.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote