View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #158
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice X&O's on the greatness of the dirkster yesterday. So he leads in scoring, rebounding, second in assists and now he IS playing like kobe/lebron at the end of games, they've just figured out to let him dribble around outside get switches to the BIG, not the small and let him take them off the dribble.

I've noticed this occurring since he's become so aggressive with Kidd here. Nice stuff. Video at the link.

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot....-roll-and.html

Quote:
Following the NCAA tournament, my next favorite time of year immediately follows, the NBA playoffs. With only a week or so left in the regular season, the NBA playoffs are starting to take shape. The one game on the schedule tonight that really had the feel of a playoff game was the Mavs against the Suns in Phoenix.

I was ready to write off the Mavs after Dirk went down with that horrific looking knee injury last month, but Dirk showed a lot of grit to come back and play injured, beating the Warriors, a close loss to the Lakers and a real gutsy effort to beat the Suns today.

One of the great coaching adjustments that Coach Avery Johnson did today was to have Dirk run the PNR up top. It works better than J Kidd because Kidd isn't really a threat to score so you can play him soft. With Dirk running the PNR up top, the defense must respect his ability to shoot and put it on the floor, thus creating a bunch of problems. Here are a couple of sequences from that terrific comeback of the second half,
Quote:
The PNR works especially well when the player running it up top is a versatile scorer. When the Suns tried to play it straight up, Dirk just took it hard to the rim (and I agree w/ Van Gundy that Shaq fouls Dirk here),

Quote:
When the Suns decided to double Dirk off the PNR, Dirk finds a rolling Dampier. The Suns rotation comes late allowing Dampier to lay it in,
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote