View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #36
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
On the offensive end, I think Duncan might get slightly overrated as great as he is. I give Olajuwon the edge here because he seems to best him in both points per game and true shooting percentage (Duncan's inconsistent free throw shooting some years hurts him here I think). Also as said earlier, Olajuwon had possibly the greatest arsenal of post moves ever. As for the Dwight Howard comparison, there's a reason why Howard spent the last offseason trying to soak up tips from the master (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mArHU1ewSog). The Dream Shake is still one of the all-time classic signature moves (and anyone who has ever tried to defend it in one-on-one hoops will know that a player who has mastered this is a nightmare to guard). That Hakeem was able to dominate during what I think was the greatest era for centers ever is another major point in his favor.
What a great link. The two things that really jump out at me:

(1) Look at how well Hakeem is moving...at nearly 50 years old! No braces, not a ton of tape. He's obviously not of the Greg Oden / Patrick Ewing school of big men. Incredible athlete.

(2) Howard's got turrible turrible hands, a fact that becomes painfully obvious when compared to the Dream. It's like he's using a couple of frying pans to flip the ball into the net. Also, interestingly enough, I think Howard actually HAS the personality that LeBron tried to pass off while in Cleveland. Extremely gregarious, eager to please, overcompensatingly funny (channeling Chandler Bing?). Something he shares in common with BronBron, no killer instinct. Which is why he'll never be on this list despite his immense athletic talent.

Apologies for the tangent.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote