View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 07:43 AM   #4
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

found this on slamonline:

I just got off the phone with my man with the Hawks, and here's the latest on the car injury suffered by Hawks guard DerMarr Johnson early this morning:
-- Sometime around 5:00 a.m., Hawks swingman DerMarr Johnson was in a single-car accident on the south side of Atlanta. DerMarr's car, a new Mercedes, crossed the center line of Cascade Road and crashed head-on into a tree, then burst into flames.
-- DerMarr was driving the car, and there were two other passengers in the car with him.
-- Though it is not known for sure, they think DerMarr was on his way home.
-- The car was burned so badly that it was unrecognizable.
-- All of the passengers were tested for sobriety, though results are not available yet. According to the person I talked to, it's likely that a wet road contributed.
-- After the accident, a witness in another car helped DerMarr and his passengers off the ground and took them to the hospital.
-- He is currently in the Atlanta Medical Center (and as I'm typing this, Shareef, Jason Terry, Dion Glover and Ira Newble just showed up at the hospital).
-- According to doctors, DerMarr suffered a "a cervical spine fracture," fracturing the sixth cervical vertebrae.
-- He is not and has not experienced any paralysis. His condition is currently listed as "stable."
-- He is scheduled to go into surgery this afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
-- According to Hawks GM Pete Babcock, "A fraction of an inch one way or the other, and the doctor said it would have been very bad."
-- DerMarr's playing status long term is excellent, his prognosis is excellent, his short term prognosis is excellent.
-- It appears that DerMarr could be released from the hospital by as early as next Tuesday.
-- 2:30 UPDATE -- According to a source, it is likely that DerMarr Johnson will miss the entire 2002-2003 season

--

at least it's better than what i first saw. poor guy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]