Thread: Andre Iguodala
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #205
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Our problem in recent weeks hasn't been the offensive end (when was the last time we didn't score 100+ points?). Instead, we played horrible defense and allowed pretty much every team to shoot 49% and better. In the end, even a pure scorer like Martin couldn't make up for that, not to mention that it would probably lead to our defense being even worse. Whether we have three defensive starters in our starting lineup or not doesn't really matter when our opponents shoot 50% from the floor. Perhaps, these supposed defensive starters aren't all that good on defense, at least not consistently.

Therefore, I'd be a lot happier to get a player like Iguodala who can give you both, offense as well as defense. While we need an offensive upgrade, that upgrade may not have to be our second-best scorer every single night. We still have JET who can fill that role occasionally. If Iggy and JET were able to consistently give us a 2nd and 3rd scoring option, regardless of who plays which role on any given night, we might be fine.

One more thing to consider is that Martin has been injury-prone for years now, and we're not talking about 5 or 6 games over the course of a season. In the last three seasons, including this one, he always missed 20+ games. He's never had to play a full season with an extensive playoff run. How would his body react to that kind of physical pressure? Iggy's durability vs. Martin's fragility should be a major factor and I'm glad that even Dirk pointed it out just the other day.
Let me preface this by saying I agree with your view on Iggy, I think he would vastly improve his offense playing alongside Kidd, Dirk, Jet, and even Marion. He really doesn't have a lot to work with in Philly and here in Dallas he would get easier looks, and wouldn't have to be relied upon NEARLY as heavily. In addition, he does bring a great defensive presence and provides that slashing/finishing that we so desperately need. Add that to his passing ability and his durability and he would vastly improve this team.

However, I'm not of the same opinion as you in that the Mavs recent defensive atrocities are going to become the norm. Think of this, the Mavs have been starting Jet at the 2, historically one of the Mavs absolute worst defenders. As long as Jet is starting at the 2, the Mavs will continue to be an extremely poor defensive team. This is why I, despite his struggles all year, am still in favor of starting Howard, at least until he is traded. But I believe if we have Butler/Iggy/Martin starting at the 2 we will become a vastly improved defensive team regardless of which one we get. Obviously Iggy is the best, Butler next, and Martin last. But even with Martin we are a better, and definitely longer team than we are with Jet, or heaven forbid, JJ. I'm not worried about the defensive end as long as we have someone other than QRoss, JJ, or Jet starting the 2.

On the topic of Martin, you make valid points referring to his durability and defense. And if he can't find away to stay healthy for long periods of time he will be virtually worthless. However, if i'm not mistaken, Martin's injury this year was due to a wrist injury, not any of the injuries that have plagued his career to this point. So if his wrist is now healthy, and he hasn't had injuries to the areas that have been injury prone during his career then I say his upside is worth the risk. Because although Iggy is definitely a good scorer, I don't know if he is a good enough shooter to be our ideal #2 option. This is why I'm willing to brave the risks of taking on Martin. He's long, very athletic, gets to the free throw line just as well as anyone, and has a very polished all around game. Add that to the fact that he is 6ft 7 and i'm constantly drooling over the thought of him healthy for extended time on the floor with Kidd/Dirk/Marion/and Jet at times. I think that we would improve defensively, regardless of how much worse of a defender Martin is than Iggy. Martin is still far superior, and FAR taller and longer than Jet and JJ, obviously. This in itself, and his rebounding and leaping ability makes us a better rebounding team. Also, I think under Carlisle, Martin has the capabilities and tools to be a great defender, he just needs the instruction and motivation, which playing on a contender and having Carlisle as a coach will do.

Give me Kmart please. But if its not possible i would be ecstatic to have Iggy here as well.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote