View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #255
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't knock Brady for being in a system suited for him. I don't knock Montana for being suited for a West coast offense. And even though the Pats don't run a West coast offense(they do but they don't) I view him as a West coast QB. In terms of just sheer arm talent he's not a top 5 qb. But he is who he is, Patriots have a system he is perfect for and to me those other qb's who stepped in were also better suited for the offense NE ran.

They run a system that's modified from it's original form, the EP system. I'm not 100% positive but I believe they(and by they I mean Weis and Bellicheck) took elements from the west coast play style, something suited for Brady's arm but not his legs, and incorporated it into the original EP system when the NFL started catering the rules to favor offenses and passing in particular. I believe the Cowboys ran the original EP system with Parcells(Bellicheck's mentor) which is a run first play action system. The Pats turned it into a short pass west coast type system but it still retains a lot of elements from the original, I believe the language is entirely different from west coast for instance but not sure. So I give a lot of credit to them for creating this system, it's tailor made for Brady's tools and it's extremely friendly to skill positions as long as you have a qb who makes the right reads and is accurate. I don't fault Brady though for their continued success without him when he's been hurt or suspended. They created this modified version of the offense, so they know what qb's have the right tools to be successful in it.

I think he's the best, I don't think it's much of an argument otherwise. I think it's definitely debatable if other qb's had been placed in a better system suited for them what their success could be like. Gannon was an underwhelming qb until he won a super bowl with the raiders. To my knowledge it was his only time in a west coast offense, and it's the most common example people usually use to say the West coast offense qb's are overrated. So what would Rich Gannon have done if his whole career was in a west coast offense? It's also not really talked about but the Packers offense is a west coast offense. They have one of the best all time qb's in terms of arm talent ever in Rogers. But he's running a system tailor made for him as well since it's a true west coast offense and he's got the mobility to thrive in it and an arm way better than necessary in it as well. And at times he looks unbeatable, and at times he looks incredibly average. He's also had numerous ex teammates say he was basically a guy who was supremely arrogant and rubbed ppl the wrong way. So maybe it's the intangibles that elevate Brady beyond the system, coach, etc... but I just say he has "it" cuz honestly idk and I hate the patriots.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote