View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok..so you people suck on the whole accountability thing.
Well, by mid February, I had reached my goal of running 6 miles 2-3 times a week. So, I moved on to the next goal in my journey to running a marathon sometime before the end of the year.

My goal now is to reduce my per mile time. But, I'm also re-tooling my running style. I've always ran too much on the balls of my feet with shorter strides. Well, that's not conducive to repetitive long distance running. It also makes it difficult to drastically reduce my time. Basically, I was using too much of my lower legs and not enough of the upper legs in the jogging process. So, my calves would be so sore the next couple of days that it was difficult to put together a week of 4 solid runs. That used to not be a problem, but I'm getting old I suppose. It's just time to lengthen the stride a bit.

So, I'm working on lengthening my stride and increasing my pace. Here's my plan. For March and April, I'll be using a different workout plan the majority of the time. Initially, it involves running individual miles each under a certain time. So, for now, I'll run 1 mile under 7 minutes, walk a lap, run another mile under 7 minutes, walk a lap... you get the picture..do that 4 times. After I'm able to consistently do that relatively painlessly, I'll step up the workout again. I'll run 1.33 miles, walk a lap...1.33 miles..walk a lap and so on until I've ran 1.33 miles each under 9:20 seconds 4 times... then up to 1.5 miles 3 times (then 4 times)... and 2 miles 2 times (then 3)... and so on until I reach the 6 mile mark again...

Anyways, I just wanted to update the progress. I had to go through a similar workout routine in high school. It was a little more intense with the base mile time at 6:00 minutes to around 6:15. But, this isn't about competition at all (it wasn't about that for me in high school...just forced to do so)... this is more about accomplishment.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-10-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote