View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #114
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I know what works and what doesn't. I'm 6'2 202 pounds... I'm up about 7 pounds from where I want to be, but I'm still in good shape.

Personally, I hate lifting. Yeah, I do some of it, but just because I need to and not because I want to. I run because it burns calories quickly. Yes, I suppose there are things that I could do that would burn them just about as quickly or even quicklier (just making up words as I go)..but, for me, running works best even when my foot isn't working at its best.

As for lifting..well, I really don't want to add to much more muscle mass. I like where I'm at. But I like how I physically feel whenever I get into top notch running condition. I love the feeling of having increased lung capacity...of feeling as if I can 'go' all day long regardless of what I'm doing. A workout based primarily on weight training doesn't do it for me.

I've tried a number of different things... cycling, swimming, walking, running, basketball, weights..etc.. A combination of things do it for me, but it starts with running.. yeah, it includes playing sports, but that's just primarily for fun. It also includes lifting weights, but that's mainly because I guess I'm supposed to do it from time to time. There was a time in my life to where I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing when it came to this sort of thing. Now I do.

Now, you might say "well, running screwed your foot up to begin with".. well, I suppose It did, but I know when the injury occurred. It occurred playing softball with a pair of "cleats" that didn't have enough support in the needed area. I felt the pain immediately when making a turn going around third base and heading home. The injury didn't occur just during my normal jogging routine.

As for my diet.. Well, it needs some work, but I know that. I like what I like. I love to eat food that I'm not supposed to eat. I'm better about it now than I was a couple of years ago. But, it still needs work. I do take some necessary precautions such as annually doctor visits... monthly blood pressure readings and also taking my blood sugar at least every 3-4 months.... Again, with my somewhat unhealthy eating and lack of activity over the past few months, I've already seen some negative changes. My blood pressure has cropped up to 127/78 in my last reading.. It's higher than I'd like. My blood sugar is at 84.. a little higher than I'd like. But, I know what I need to do to take care of all of that..it's just a matter of doing it. Running is a huge step in that process.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote