View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #168
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Ha, I was definitely thinking about this song during this whole mess.

Cuban doesn't get that his perception of a black hoodie kid is exactly why Trayvon Martin was needlessly murdered. I have no idea why you'd be threatened by what is a ridiculous stereotype. People that live in rich gated communities sometimes just start making things up about what threatens them. I live in a reasonably upscale apartment complex and the majority of my building is black. Plenty of them do seem to fit a certain stereotype, and yet I've never once felt insecure or threatened about my living situation. It's just ridiculous to think that you have to watch your back late at night if you see someone that doesn't think or dress the way you do. This is more of stereotype problem than a racist one.
I think he very much understands what this line of thinking can lead to. He wasn't endorsing it, he wasn't even claiming it was rational. He was stating, correctly, that it exists. And he was also stating that it's different for everyone.

Whether or not it affects your sense of personal safety, you and everyone else on this board have your own personal biases and prejudices that affect how you interact with people and that shape your life as a whole. That's all he was saying.

And yes, it's very obviously a stereotype/prejudice thing, not a race thing. And it's not a big deal. The only people making an issue out of it at this point are people that didn't read/listen to the whole interview or are just trolling for attention.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote