View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
He's gonna play center for this team. You can bet on that.
I realize he will technically be playing center. But I see players like him and Bosh as power forwards playing out of position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I find it to be interesting how our starting center (Dalembert) makes less than his backup (Wright). However, I like to think that Wright also is Nowitzki's backup right now, and his minutes at Power Forward will be very valuable to the team. Of course his $5 million or whatever he makes next season is far less than Dirk's $22,721,381.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright starting instead of Dalembert based on matchups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Maybe now that we have a center with some defensive skills, we can see Wright more as Dirk's backup at the 4 spot. I think if you put him in a scorer's role, he can put up some points. While I shudder at the thought of him trying to defend an Aldridge or a Love, I think his quickness may make him a challenge for a lot of bigs..especially now that we have some guards who can, and want, to pass.

I'm anxious to see what this team looks like after a full training camp with Dirk.
It's all about game planning. Against the stronger centers, you'll likely see Wright more at PF as Dirk's backup with more minutes for James and Dalembert (and likely another undrafted or D-League big at C).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
...Also, I'm really happy to have Wright back! I think conventional wisdom/conjecture had him coming in closer to 4 than 5mil. Maybe they had to overpay slightly to get a verbal commit and to get him to wait to sign till other business was finished. To me thats a smart way to do business. Loyalty rewarded all the way around.

I also understand Moogle's original point- it isnt wise to overpay guys "in a vacuum". Each transaction though is discrete and unique in its details. In this particular instance it was the right move...
I don't see Wright as overpayed at all. $5 mil for a PF who can swing to C that scores with an extremely high efficiency is a great deal. I mean, Hollinger's PER rankings list him number 5 among centers for the 2012 season (he would also rank number 5 among power forwards) and ranks 23rd for estimated wins added. In contrast, Asik ranked 27th, Kaman 31st, and Dalembert ranked 35th. The biggest hole in Wright's game is rebounding, which I bet the team will be working on in camp.