View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #76
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The rub I have with certain Second Amendment zealots is that in their arguments they seem to exhibit a robust bravado but at the same time shy away from any semblance of a fight. When asked to imagine a world where you can't just up and get a handgun, they bristle. They say that the bad guys will get one anyway, so why shouldn't they be allowed to do the same?

My answer is: you *are* allowed to do the same. If it's that easy for the criminal to get the weapon, it's also that easy for you. And if you feel so strongly--oh, so strongly--about protecting your domicile from any and all outside threats, teeming as they are in this day and age, then you will find a way to arm yourself as well. Why is it that you place so much credence in whether your government says it is "okay"? It's about your about-to-be-raped-daughter, right? My God, man. In that case, I would certainly hope that you don't ask your law officials for permission first. You'd be a hell of a pussy if you did.

If you are the kind of guy who can end a life in order to preserve ones close to you--and, much more to the point, you think you will quite possibly *have to* at least threaten to do that--then you are a Wild West sort of guy and gun laws be damned.

I mean, I just don't get it. If I were as adamant about owning a weapon as even the least Second Amendment zealot, I wouldn't give a rat's ass about whether the government approved. Why do Second Amendment zealots need such approval all the time? Stock your armory and be done with it.
I don't know if this is directed at me or not Chum, but to an extent you are correct.

I am ex military, and have been in the situation. I know what I can and can't do -- unlike many Americans. I will try to be a Law Abiding Citizen, but if you watched the movie -- be careful of Law Abiding Citizens when people get stupid.

I do not want to be a criminal, but I will defend my family. Either the law allows it or doesn't allow it. Either I have guns, or I use other weapons.

The question is not whether I give a rat's ass or not -- the question is do I want to be a hypocrite or not? Do I want to teach my children to follow the law, and then show them that I am breaking it?

I mean if my children see me breaking the law -- actions speak much louder than words.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote