View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 06:42 AM   #132
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game live. I was stuck at work, but I was periodically checking the score, I legit thought my phone was broken, because that couldn't possibly be right. Mavs up by 15, Mavs up by 24, Mavs up by 30, MAVS UP BY 46?!?!!?!?!

So I finally get home and watch the full replay. I'm just utterly shocked. I've never seen anything like this in basketball. I honestly think this is an unprecedented moment in NBA history.

First off, holy shit, I'm so effing in love with our Mavs. All the credit in the world to them for shocking the world, pulling off one of the bigger upsets in recent playoff memory, and getting to the WCF for the first time since 2011. Amazing, amazing accomplishment, and I want to sing their praises to the moon.

I gotta be honest though, I'm more just utterly stunned at the Suns' utter collapse. And this is the thing I think is unprecedented in NBA history. I've never seen anything like it, and I'm just dumbfounded- in the best possible way of course being a Mavs fan.

Upsets happen. We've seen #1 seeds lose plenty of times. We Mavs fans have some terrible memories of our own. But Jesus H Christ, I don't think we've ever seen a 60+ win team that was overwhelmingly favored to win the championship get pushed to a game 7 by the underdog team, and just not even show up. To just get utterly annihilated and humiliated on their home court. Seriously, has it ever happened before?

The closest comparison I can think of is Nuggets-Clippers in the bubble. Clippers were up 3-1, blew the lead and lost game 7 by 15. But good lord, even that wasn't THIS bad. This was the most pathetic, shameful performance by a title favorite I've ever seen by a huge margin. I just can't get over it.

Again, not to take anything away from our beloved Mavs, because I think the Mavs just flat out broke the Suns mentally. They got into the Suns' heads and destroyed their confidence. I still think the Suns were the more talented team by a fair margin. But one of the beautiful things about basketball is that it's not just about talent. The Mavs were just tougher, hungrier, and smarter.

If I was the Suns' GM, I'd really be at a loss now about where to go from here. CP3 is done as far as I'm concerned. He might still be able to play at a reasonable level in the regular season, but as a guy you can trust in the playoffs? Yeah no thanks. I don't think it's gonna get better from age 37 to age 38. Ayton is a good player, but good is all, and generally unreliable. Even before this they were unsure if they wanted to pay him. (and to think, they took him when they could have had Luka!!) I can't imagine breaking the bank for him now. Booker is incredibly talented but man after last night I'm never trusting him to lead a team. So that's their vaunted big 3, all of whom utterly humiliated themselves when their playoff lives were on the line. I can't imagine blowing up a 64-win team, but good god, I can't imagine the Suns coming back from this. It's like the 2016 Atlanta Falcons. There's some shit you just don't come back from.

Anyway, enough about the pathetic losers from Phoenix. THE MAVERICKS ARE IN THE WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING ON THE WARRIORS!!!!! MFFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-16-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote