Thread: Rasheed Wallace
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #115
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Rasheed Wallace

Thought I should weigh in on this subject since I'm purported to be the resident Sheed lover...

I've watched Portland all season (I've seen more Blazers games than any other team outside of the Mavs)... not because I like the team; I watched to (amature-ly) scout Wallace.

Some quick thoughts on Portland's defense: Randolph is a terrible defender (and I mean Jamison-terrible) ... McKinnis is playing out of position... Stoudamire is worn down playing big minutes in long stretches. Dale Davis has been battling back spasms. Woods doesn't defend. Patterson can defend but he only plays 20 minutes. Person is not a defender... etc, etc.

The Blazers also have lots of problems with chemistry & effort. Stoudamire is playing his ass off but he's hit a dry spell. Randolph has drawn criticism because his hole is blacker than Jamison's. I've NEVER seen him pass the ball if there was any opportunity for him to shoot. Wallace is drifting ... dropping the ball into Randolph & letting him do his thing. Everyone is frustrated.

At times Wallace has responded - typically the result of a poor start by Randolph - to take control & light up the box score... but he has seemed resigned to the fact that management (Nash) wants Zach to be the star.

Wallace has worked on defense... and has shown a remarkable ability to defend on the perimiter... but remember he's still a 6'11" 245lb power forward trying to guard legit 6'7" SFs... so he's occasionally beaten off the dribble. Help side defense is non-existent.

Other times Wallace plays center (about 20 minutes per night) & matches up with the opposing team's best offensive four or five.

Other things to note: Wallace has a brilliant on-court basketball mind. He sets good picks... He blocks out & creates space for defensive rebounds (even if the more athletic Randolph typically gobbles them up) ... he moves the basketball ... and he plays a great team game. He steps out defensively to disrupt the pick & roll... he has quick hands ... his shot is unblockable. I notice that he does a lot of the small things that make a team successful: for example, last week sometime I was watching a game & I saw how he would anticipate defensive rotations & step out to screen the defender, resulting in an open look. And hen he gets that turnaround jumper going off the baseline he's unstoppable.

That said... and I've noted this before .... I've also seen a LOT of the "bad Sheed." Sometimes it seems like he's protesting on the court: maybe it's because he's mad at the lack of defensive effort... maybe he's frustrated to see Randolph jack up a prayer when there were better options available.... it could be that he doesn't like Cheek's playcalling.... or maybe he's just tired of loosing. I've seen Sheed refuse to roll on a pick & roll. I've seen him refuse to post up... and I've seen him let to officials take him out of the game.

But I have not seen him quit.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote