View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #101
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

------
Disclaimer: I believe if Giannis tells the Mavs he wants to come here, we will figure out how to fit his max salary into our cap sheet. It almost certainly means we're losing 2-3 of DFS/THJ/Seth/Maxi, but that is worth the cost of adding an elite player in his prime. If Giannis does choose to come here as a free agent, what we do this summer is a little irrelevant since adding a $40M+ per year free agent often requires you to strip your roster down to the studs. Ideally, everyone on the roster but Luka is available if there's a real chance at improving our team, but I think we can all agree that a Porzingis trade this offseason would be pretty shocking.

Second Disclaimer: I am currently fueled by edibles
-------

I'd be all-in on trading #31/Jackson for Ntilikina. The dude is only 22 and has very real All-Defense potential (FWIW I feel the same way here about possibly acquiring Kris Dunn via a sign-and-trade). Ntilikina might have gone in the top 10 of this draft. #31 and a guy we don't really care about for him is a steal. Hell, I'd even trade #18 for him and count on him improving as a shooter with more open looks. All of this is moot though, because I doubt the Knicks would even trade him for #18. Knicks fans seem to think the new front office is high on him.

I'd do almost whatever we could to turn #18 into either an immediate starter or a potential long-term rotation player. I wouldn't be opposed to taking on a 3-year deal even if it's a guy we'd have to figure out how to trade next offseason. We have to set high expectations for the 2020-21 (or w/e) season and add the requisite talent to do so. I'm not opposed to keeping both of our picks if we can find players that can contribute pretty quickly, but I don't know if that's the best use of the assets.

Guys I think might be available in trades this summer that we should be interested in at the right price: Jrue Holiday, Aaron Gordon, Chris Paul, Otto Porter Jr. We probably need to include THJ in a trade for any of those guys for cap reasons, but they could all fix problems with our roster. And as you can see from the list of possible MLE guys below, I think our best opportunity to improve this summer is through trades.

MLE and under guys who could have real value to us (assume options not picked up): Derrick Jones Jr, Garrett Temple, Torrey Craig, David Nwaba, Justin Holiday, JaMychal Green, KCP, Michael Carter-Williams, Glenn Robinson III, Harry Giles. I'd also be open to bringing Courtney Lee and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist back too, though I doubt either guy would have a big role with us.

I think we need to put serious consideration into adding at least one new starter among the 2/3/4 spot, and it's okay to say that DFS/Seth/Maxi/THJ are more suited to come in off the bench on a team with deep playoff aspirations. If we could add a Jrue or CP3 that can check the boxes of hitting open shots/defending opposing PGs/acting as a secondary playmaker, that is the most direct path to improving our late-game execution and putting the right guy next to Luka in the backcourt. If we can't get a guy like that, then versatile wings like Gordon and OPJ would be modest but real improvements with manageable salaries. If those guys aren't really available, then I think we should bring most of the current team back and add a couple of immediate rotation guys with the MLE.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote