View Single Post
Old 03-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #40
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
While this is an obvious yes at this point, just remember it took the Mavs years before figuring out that they needed to get Luka another high caliber ball handler. There was nary a Mavs fan that wasn't trolling the FO to get Luka some damn help in that dept.

Mavs might not have had to trade KP had they just gone after Dinwiddie or Derozan this past summer instead of keeping THJ.

I view KP as the fallout of that contract as much as anything. Maybe you still move on from KP eventually anyway, but the Mavs desperately need that shot blocking.

Good news is I do think they can get some sort of shot blocker this summer. We shall see.
You gave good news, but I'll give the best news. We don't have the same FO or coach. I think they'll be a little more aggressive in pursuit of additional help.

On Dinwiddie, I'm not so sure we could have swung a deal. I'm curious the moves that the Mavs would have had to make. Seems like we could match the two 2nd rounders and get close to the $11.5M trade exception (can't recall how big ours was at the time), but they also traded another 2nd rounder and their 1st round pick to San Antonio (Chandler Hutchinson) which would have meant departing with Josh Green, arguably fine at the time but might be blessing in disguise if he continues to improve. They also appear to have rerouted the 1st rounder they got from the Lakers in the Westbrook deal to the Pacers. It's a long and confusing transaction, but I am not saying the Mavs could not have figured something out, it would have been very difficult.

Edit: I also think cap issues would have restricted Mavs moves, resigning THJ or renouncing rights, either way.

Last edited by saclare; 03-06-2022 at 08:38 AM.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote