View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I've enumerated some of the reasons that I believe a draft would be a good thing. If you want me to say the biggest benefit is NOT getting in shape, okay, I thought that obvious. If that's your accusation of back-tracking, so be it. But in all honesty I'm not backtracking on my opinion of the bigger issue here, you are grabbing hold of minutia.

As I said, i listed some, the BIG one is that a people of a country need to be willing to be called by that country when needed to defend it. And the military needs to cut across all classes of people, south, north, rich, poor, etc.

Your links. You were saying (at least I think you are) that people who didn't vote republican are being sent back to iraq in lieu of others who did. I'm hoping one of these links has some data to back up that fantasy. Let's look shall we..

Hmm...nope this one is bitching that singles don't get as good housing/pay as married folks. Okay..life sucks, eh.

Well that one doesn't say it either. It talks about the 8 year service committment of which my son-in-law whom I mentioned is being caught with. Might suck, but nothing to do with voting it seems. Strike 2.

Another one talking about how tough it is to be away from family. True, my daughter married her husband, then 1 month later he was gone for a year, then another year. So 3 years married they've spent 1 together, it's been very tough. But nothing in this story that I see talks about deployments due to political stances. Strike 3 it seems.

Another article about stop-loss. I have to assume this is the 8 year term that folks have signed up for. Again nothing here about deployments due to political positions. Strike 4 it seems. As I said, fantasy, better look for better links.

War Hawk..Yea I guess so. I believed that Iraq 1 for example was in our strategic interests and I supported it. I did not support Bosnia as I did not think it was in our strategic interests. As far as supporting a draft when I'm too old to be called, what's your point? As I mentioned about 90% of the country aren't going to have the right to call anyone to military service since so few serve. Kinda silly to wave that one out there when it essentially cannot be met.

I supported IraqII because it seemed that that Sadaam had WMDs, was a very dangerous character who would break free of sanctions soon. I also understood the reasoning behind transforming the Middle East.

You can make the arguement that we created Al Queda there, I don't believe it. Al queda is not going anywhere until they are defeated and the islamic states determine that their brand of radicalism isn't really all that it's cracked up to be. After 9/11 I would have liked to have heard a proposal for dealing with international terrorism in an aggressive manner. Americans in general like to fix problems and we are aggressive about it, it was in our nature to at least contemplate doing what we've done. Not to mention that it is and was a noble endeavor.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 08-14-2007 at 12:00 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote