View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #19
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Hurt or help?

Do you really want to see your team on the ass-end of a fix (again)?
That isn't the point. If the public sees BBall as fixed or corrupt, then it becomes more like the WWF -- just entertainment.

Of course you would be willing to pay to see it somewhat, but no longer do you need to buy the jerseys or shoes, etc. Ex. I pay money to go see a movie, but I don't buy T-shirts or shoes with the movie on them ( I guess some kids would, but I don't -- and I am the working middle class that spends money).

If this is the case, then $$$$ slows down coming into the NBA.

My personal opinion is that it has been fixed for years, but even if it is, it is still entertainment. I am not sure that Stern hasn't been in on it as well. I know one thing, if it is corrupt clear to the top, and Stern is more like Vince McMahon -- just trying to build the business -- then he screwed up royally not paying the officials better.

They don't want to be digging too deep because if the officials are corrupt or even perceived as corrupt, (and whose to say that Stern didn't tell the officials union to make their money through betting, I mean he could have easily said listen -- you don't need to make but "X" dollars here because you have other ways to make more $$$$ in which you control), then the league is finished and a new league could easily gain the market.

From a conspiracy theorist standpoint, this could be just as damaging as Enron. It does seem awful strange to me that this happens shortly after Joey Crawford was disciplined. I wonder if Stern didn't piss him off enough that a dime was dropped. Let's face it, Crawford would have known where "the bodies" were that were doing the gambling, IF it is all corrupt.

Big picture wise, and from a business standpoint, much of this makes sense -- including the gambling by officials. If you think that some of the players haven't tanked games over the years for $$$$$ then you are way to optimistic - that is one of the reasons why the players are paid so well. If you think that certain markets aren't given a slight edge sometimes in order to keep the numbers up -- then you haven't been watching.

From a business standpoint -- think it is a fluke that in back to back years the "new" image of the NBA (Dwayne Wade and King James) are in the finals? Who made the most money from the gambling (I don't know, but I might be finding out if I were the FBI)? You won't find any player or officials name out there probably, but what about their buddies. I mean if I am StarPlayer1 and my best friend John Doe puts down $200000 for my team to lose a series, when we are favored, 3-1, then I am guessing that someone, somewhere has a fix going on. The only reason for legalized gambling is to legitimize the cash, and make sure that the government gets it kickback(taxes) out of it.

I have no idea if the officials, or league is corrupt -- to me doesn't matter even a little bit. I watch for entertainment, and don't get too worked up over any of it. I do know that there is lots going on that the masses don't know about. I do know that human nature is greedy. I do know that most don't really want to know the Truth, even when it is presented to them.

Either way, the Black Eye that the NBA receives from this might be worse than imagined, or it could just be swept under the rug. You never know how these things will play out because you never really know the whole story.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote