Thread: Mavs 2012 Draft
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
I don't think we can since technically next season our pick could fall outside of the top 20 and would need to be conferred to the Lakers. Someone who has read up on the CBA, help me out on this one.
If I understand what Sefant was saying, there isnt a reason we can't.

We can trade either the 17th pick or the rights to whoever we pick at #17 to anyone and its all free and clear. All we owe is the next draft pick we have that is below 19.

The problem is for other teams primarily in that it ties up future draft picks, so if we trade our 2013 first rounder and next year we also end up 1-19, then whoever got our 2013 pick would have to wait until the Lakers (or whoever currently held the rights to that pick) got theirs. It mostly impacts the other team but teams may be less likely to trade with us if they know that they will be second in line for a pick.

Say, if we trade this year's 17 for a 2013 first rounder from Milwaukee-- we'd still have Milwaukee's pick regardless of where Milwaukee drafted, even if they drafted 20-30. Lakers get the first original MAVS pick that falls below 19, unless we never draft that low for the next 5 years. So if we did that Milwaukee trade and ended up in the same spot again next year and got a 16th pick overall, we'd have our 16th (which we wouldnt have to give up) AND Milwaukee's.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-15-2012 at 07:50 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote