View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #101
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilMavvento
This seems like an awfully shaky line of research for a thesis. The study involved nearly every topic of discussion (politics/religion/sports etc.) ? How could meaningful conclusions be made from a place like this? The Issues forum is just an echo chamber anyway. What would be the control group? How could findings here, online, be verified by anyone? Hell, people have a hard enough time even detecting sarcasm online, much less analyzing behavior.
You have to remember, we're talking about Baylor here.

But seriously, why would a graduate student--which Doc was at the time--be sitting on a graduate advising committee anyway? That's the kookiest part of the story.

Quote:
About three years ago, I was involved in a planning discussion for a graduate student thesis as an outside reader. Most universities require an outside reader for the purpose of maintaining graduate school rules and representation, fair handling of the established protocols for graduation etc. It eliminates the appearance and possibility of a major advisor “pushing through” a graduate who was not deserving of a degree just to get them the heck out of their environment. Trust me….it has happened at darned near every school at some point. Anyways, the thesis planning group was convened and I was the reader.

Last edited by chumdawg; 03-17-2007 at 01:39 PM.