View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #26
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:Mexicans Soccer Fans

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I hate to wade into this one, but I'd just like to point out that it's entirely possible that chanting or shouting occurred without making it onto the ESPN2 broadcast. ESPN would probably NOT broadcast something like that; in fact, they'd probably take steps to make sure it wasn't included in the broadcast.
Just wondering, why do you believe that ESPN would not broadcast a large scale taunting of the US team? After all, they aired the interview with C. Lewis (I believe) where he mentioned the previous case of being taunted. Do you believe that ESPN would try and be PC about it?

Quote:
On the issue of the chanting, I doubt that the soccer fans speak for the country of Mexico as a whole, or for its leadership. There is certainly anti-American sentiment there, as there is in various places around the world. It does seem to be a particularly ungrateful sentiment coming from citizens of Mexico, considering how much Mexico and its citizens benefit from their relationship and proximity with the United States, but such ingratitude is hardly unusual. I think back to the comments from the Iraqi soccer team several months ago and realize that some people just don't get it. Period.
I agree. In every large crowd there's bound to be a few like that.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote