View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_Reno
One of the things that was funny to me in this but showed how great this guy was, he predicted they would win all 7 or 8 games on the road trip and he would average like 40 a night and double figure rebounds or some wild number. They had won ever game and the last game against the Blazers i think, he told his teammates, tonight i am playing one handed for 3 quarters and we are going to win. After three quarters of playing left handed he had 27 after three. This guy was simply amazing good.

NBA TV presents Celtics great Larry Bird's 50 greatest moments.

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp_i...9-1&sp_t=video

It is the one that is 48 mins long. The Lakers was going to destroy them the first playoffs with Bird/Magic and was, as it was a layup or dunk all games and going to be a shutout, when Bird went in the locker and told them it better not be another layup for them. It was a knock down drag out after this. The Celtics won the title. Watch some of those fouls and physical play, Bird turned that into. He had to or they would have lost.

George Gervin would ask, who is that dude running laps way up there in the Garden as the Spurs held practice? Some of his teammates said that is the guy we play tonight and his name is Larry Bird, he never stops practicing or running. Even on game days.

Philadelphia was so good with J, Barkley, Bobby Jones, Cheeks, Toney and more but Bird was always there. Robert Parrish just laughs and says about 5,000 of his points was because of Bird, giving him free baskets. The coach asked McHale, why can't you be like Bird and shoot about 500 shots a day and run laps everyday of the year, McHale tells the coach, because i have another life also. McHale calls home when he gets to Boston, telling his friends, this is one amazing kid, named Larry Bird, he told MN they would hear of him soon enough.

Sometimes i forget just how great this guy was and also Magic. Some of these things Bird did, bordered on almost impossible.
I will never 4get anything that Bird/Magic did. When I look at the current young players who people think are great, I just compare them to those two and MJ to see if they are really great.

When I think about the early/mid 80's, I just get filled up with joy when thinking about basketball. I promise, I wish I could go back in time to just feel the moment with Magic/Bird playing. I really loved the game back then. The game was pure and the team with the best heart won. Players would have to be physical/mental tough to make it back then. Hand checking was allowed, and you could lose a whole row of teeth going to the basket against the wrong person.

I remember the message fouls from certain players. I mean the ones that told a player not to come back into the lane. I think the one current Superstar that would not make it back then would be Wade. Wade's body would have taken a pounding.

Back to Bird/Magic:
Back then basketball was a art form, and Bird/Magic were artists. And they had the most respect for each other as well. Anyone remember the Bird/Magic commercials? Those were the good ole days.....

When people try to compare Dirk to Bird, I just dont understand it. Not to take anything from Dirk, but he is NOT a Larry Bird. This may sound a little crazy, but the last person to be a Larry Bird was MJ.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote