View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #35
RizAmlani

RizAmlani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
MADRID, Spain (AP) - Memphis Grizzlies center Darko Milicic was fined nearly $14,000 by FIBA on Friday for a profanity-laced tirade at referees following Serbia's defeat at the European basketball championship.

Milicic, who signed a three-year deal with the Grizzlies in the offseason, made the comments — directed at match officials Fabio Facchini, Virginijus Dovidavicius and Stelian Banica — following Serbia's 68-67 loss to Greece on Tuesday.

Basketball's world governing body fined Milicic $13,770.

Serbia finished last in Group A, winless in three games for its worst finish in the tournament since its maiden appearance as Yugoslavia in 1947.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace and coach Marc Iavaroni called Milicic on Thursday to communicate their displeasure about the comments, The Commercial Appeal of Memphis reported Friday.

"We're very displeased with Darko's actions and comments," Wallace said. "It's an emotional situation playing in national competition, particularly with Serbia, because they take pride in having good teams. But Darko has to be in control of his emotions."

Milicic, who was selected No. 2 overall in the 2003 NBA draft by the Detroit Pistons, averaged eight points and five rebounds last season for Orlando.

link
David Stern should not do anything more. He has no jurisdiction to do so. FIBA has already made their decision on what happened so unless Stern just wants to try and be a hard ass, he should let it stand pat. Not that I agree with what Darko did, I'm just saying that Stern should stay out of it.

Interviewer: Was it a little ridiculous how Dwyane Wade got all the calls?

TMac: Yeah, yeah it really was. I'll tell you man, it seems if you were watching that game, seemed like it was rigged. Seriously. I know the NBA.... (cut off by interviewer)
RizAmlani is offline   Reply With Quote