View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Regarding superman - I'll definitely see it. Does the trailer make it look darker? Yes - but we have no clue if the entire movie is that way. I don't think it will be gritty like batman, but will attempt to have more of the soul-searching that we'd expect for someone thrust into a hero role from an early age. Plus we already had a reboot in the spirit of the original (including a christopher reeve clone), and it was not very well received overall.

I also wonder how much of the trailer is studio meddling vs Snyder - trailers and advertising are not on the director 100%. There is a lot of studio involvement.

I agree on Snyder, though. Although I enjoyed watchmen, I'm surprised he got this film...
Sure we don't "know" that it will be darker, but I'd be shocked if a movie directed by Zack Snyder, produced by Chris Nolan, and written by Jonah Nolan and David Goyer (same writers of Nolan's Batman movies), would be anything but "dark." I also remember a quote a few years back from some executive at Warner Bros. saying that they wanted the next Superman movie to be "dark to the extent that the character allows it." Plus all the quotes from Zack Snyder and David Goyer have been about how they want Superman to be "naturalistic" and "grounding it in reality."

As soon as The Dark Knight became the gigantic success that it was, I guessed that the people at Warner Bros. would tried to apply the Batman formula to Superman. I figured it was only a matter of time before they threw money at Chris Nolan to get him involved with the project. It's basically the exact same thing that happened in the 90's when they hired Tim Burton to direct "Superman Lives." Thankfully that movie didn't get made (although Nic Cage, giant spiders, and gay robots probably would have pretty damn entertaining.)

I'm also not excited about Henry Cavill as Supes. He's a decent actor I suppose and he definitely looks the part, he has virtually no charisma as on screen. Granted I've only seen him in "The Tudors," but there was nothing remotely notable or memorable about his performance. He's just "there."

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely give it a chance. And for all of my complaints, I expect it to be considerably better than Superman Returns, which I'm sure most of us would rather just forget.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote