View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #44
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
By "fan service" I mean the inclusion of Boba Fett('s dad) and Chewbacca for no other reason than to have Boba Fett and Chewbacca in the movie... Or a pod race scene that's totally reminiscent of the speeder bike scene... Or the asteroid field, AGAIN... And didn't the C3 unit at the beginning of Phantom Menace say "how rude" just like C3PO did in Empire? Or how about Anakin getting his hand cut off at the end of the second movie just like Luke did?

I could go on and on and on - these things were included solely for the sake of nostalgia, rather than because they were relevant to the plot.
Some parts were definitely nostalgia (C3 unit), while others may appear that way but could just be central to Lucas' attempt to show how connected the universe was (jango fett, chewy in the prequels). Then you have moments like anakin losing his hand that I always took as an attempt to show the parallels between Luke and his father.

Now don't get me wrong, I generally disliked the prequels. I thought including jango fett was ridiculous on all levels. But I can't just dismiss that as simply fan service - who knows what Lucas' original intent was? It could have been in his head all along...