View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #45
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

As for star trek - aside from the main villain being a major callback, I didn't mind the other stuff. The tribble could have been any species for that plot device - why not make it a tribble for a wink?

Why have bones say "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor"? Why have kirk sleeping with alien babes? Because when you have a film based on subject matter (especially revered subject matter) and based on specific characters, some of those nostalgic throwaway things should be included for the fans.

If this were an entirely new set of characters, then including those same throwaway things would be hokey. But it works here, IMO.

However, I did not like the <SPOILER ALERT> deus ex machina that was future Spock giving current Spock information. That was a major plot point in both films that was just a way to get nimoy into the film (and the film suffered because of it).