View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #53
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
It's hard to take a step in the right direction and totally misinterpret the character, but that's what they did with Man of Steel.
I'm really torn on Man of Steel. I thought Cavill was great when he actually got to do something, but there was way too much mass destruction for the movie to have any gravity. Like Supes bent over backwards to save some of the soldiers in Smallville, yet he and Zod smashed through like 100 skyscrapers in Metropolis, seemingly killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process without a single ounce of sorrow or regret by any of the characters. They're still rebuilding the World Trade Center after 9/11... in Metropolis, they have decades upon decades of work to do. What is he supposed to defend in the sequel? He did a terrible job protecting Metropolis the first time around.

Snap take: Superman Returns was better. Superman had more defining characteristics, was a lot closer to the character I remember from the comics/cartoons as a kid, and jesus... compare the two scenes where Metropolis is under attack. Routh's Superman was in a frenzy trying to protect every single person, whereas Cavill's Superman was punching Zod through buildings like they were dominoes.

The visuals were spectacular, though, and I think this version of Superman is a much more natural foil for a cynical Batman that secretly has reservations about the amount of power Superman could use if he went sideways. I would love if the Man of Steel sequel was centered around Lex Luthor leading the relief efforts in helping to rebuild Metropolis and using the publicity against Superman. Could be a great angle, especially if they somehow wove Bruce Wayne into the mix. As many things as I didn't like about this movie, one thing I will say is that it really sets the table, potentially, for some compelling sequels and shared-universe movies.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote