Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #457
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
There really is no reason to freak out. This draft is about 7-8 deep in the elite prospect area, and I'm pretty sure the Mavs have one of those picks. It's going to be Ayton/Bagley at the 1 and 2, and then a choice of Young/Bamba/Doncic/Jackson jr/Porter. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices. Even Carter jr looks like a good pick. There will be more rising as the draft gets closer so we could be easily looking at 10 deep.

Mavs will be fine.
I tend to agree. However, Ayton and Doncic seem to really be separating themselves from the rest of the pack.

I've heard Ayton described as better than Embiid. A guy who's body is NBA ready from day 1, can shoot from the mid range & who people think will be able to develop an NBA 3 point shot quickly. I heard one scout say the best thing about Ayton is how he can defend the pick 'n roll. He can jump out ahead of ball screens and is quick enough to recover and defend the rim. The scout called it a special skill you don't see often from very many big men & said it's a skill that makes him NBA ready right now. (Fwiw, he also said Jaren Jackson Jr excels in this area too).

Doncic is being described basically as everything Jerry Krause dreamed Toni Kukoc would be. I just can't ignore how young he is, the kind of #s he's putting up in the 2nd best league in the world at his age. It's unprecedented.

I think Ayton & Doncic are definitely worth tanking for.

Will we be able to look back at this draft 5 years from now & see several other guys teams should be "happy" with. Sure. I have a feeling Ayton & Doncic will still separate themselves. I won't be upset if we land Jaren Jackson Jr or maybe even Mo Bamba, or maybe even Trae Young. I'm not sure how I'll feel if we wind up with anyone else. Like if we get Mikal Bridges, I'll be happy that we added a usable part, a guy who provides a missing piece to the puzzle, but I'll be disappointed that a few more losses this year could of landed us a bigger piece to the puzzle.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote