View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #66
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post

I see a lot of people talking about the Mavericks needing to upgrade their roster; I agree. But I don't see a blockbuster deal in the Mavs' near future, so any upgrade is going to be 'marginal'.
Did you see the Porzingis trade happening? I sure didn't. We have absolutely no idea what the trade/free agent market will be like for the Mavs over the next 5 years. And even so, if every upgrade is going to be marginal, then you can do it for a hell of a lot less than what Barnes costs.

Quote:
It seems like that by trading Barnes, the Mavs always intended to be taking one (or two) steps back now, in order to take one step forward in the future. That's losing ground, not gaining ground.
Are we thinking of the same Harrison Barnes? The Harrison Barnes I saw play here for 2 1/2 years was a big "meh." Seriously, how much better do you think we would be with Barnes in the lineup right now? How much ground do you think we lost? I'm not sure we lost any at all. If losing Harrison Barnes is some kind of major difference-making blow for your team, then your team was never very good and wasn't going anywhere to begin with.

Quote:
Good enough is the enemy of great, and a schedule skewed toward sub-.500 teams should be taken with a grain of salt.
Does that mean we'd be "great" with Harrison Barnes, but we're only "good enough" now? As I said, Harrison Barnes is nobody's difference between good and great. If he was, then you were definitely not great, and you probably weren't that good.

We just had two blowout wins against two of the best teams in the league- Rockets and Lakers. For a team that was expected to barely be .500 this year and struggle for the 8th seed, I'd say we're way ahead of schedule.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote