View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #75
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Did you see the Porzingis trade happening? I sure didn't. We have absolutely no idea what the trade/free agent market will be like for the Mavs over the next 5 years. And even so, if every upgrade is going to be marginal, then you can do it for a hell of a lot less than what Barnes costs.
Man, you can only rely on the ineptitude of NYKs' management so much, and perhaps not for much longer. I'd prefer a more systematic approach, and I can live with incrementalist.

Quote:
Are we thinking of the same Harrison Barnes? The Harrison Barnes I saw play here for 2 1/2 years was a big "meh." Seriously, how much better do you think we would be with Barnes in the lineup right now? How much ground do you think we lost? I'm not sure we lost any at all. If losing Harrison Barnes is some kind of major difference-making blow for your team, then your team was never very good and wasn't going anywhere to begin with.
That's what I would've liked to've seen. Yeah, I think they'd be better. Interesting (to me) to see HB used properly as a 3, bookended by Luka and KP, instead of.....a 20-year old Bullet shooting his way out of Dallas, Mes Watthews shooting his way out of Dallas, 40-year old Dirk shooting his way into NBA history, and 19 year-old Luka shooting for ROY.

As it is, pretty much anyone watching thinks they need to upgrade the talent alongside KP and LD. Disclosure: At the time of the HB trade, I thought KP would be well further along by now, didn't anticipate that he wouldn't be able to shoulder the load. As it's playing out, HB would be more valuable as KP finds his groove.

JAX may turn into a nice role player, but he doesn't look like a starter, even less so on a playoff contender; same for Wright, Curry, and Boban, in descending degree of potential. They traded a proven, legit starter in Barnes for journeymen reserves. That, IMO, is moving the wrong way, from a talent standpoint. I'll reserve judgment on the 'value' aspect for awhile longer.

Quote:
Does that mean we'd be "great" with Harrison Barnes, but we're only "good enough" now? As I said, Harrison Barnes is nobody's difference between good and great. If he was, then you were definitely not great, and you probably weren't that good.

No, the point was that they downgraded the talent on the roster with the Barnes <-> Jackson trade (Fantasy Per 36 numbers, be damned.) The anticipation (among fans, at least) was that they'd make a significant acquisition in free agency. The results, Wright, Boban, Curry, were more afterthought piecemeal patches than 'significant', and for almost equal money (~$24M). Jackson, Wright, Boban, Curry all offer some journeyman skills, but none of them look to be legit starters, and none of them will play at the level of a player like Barnes.

Quote:
We just had two blowout wins against two of the best teams in the league- Rockets and Lakers. For a team that was expected to barely be .500 this year and struggle for the 8th seed, I'd say we're way ahead of schedule.

Two quality wins, I agree. And it's fine to enjoy them, and the nice 13-6 record (for what it is, coming with a favorable schedule against sub-.500 teams). The next 10 games are going to provide a gravity test, however, and I think that talent wins out in the NBA more often than not.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-03-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote