Thread: 2020 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #55
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
All things considered, Poku looks like he's going to take a few years to develop. Do we take that risk or go for someone who might be a more ready made player? Does he fit in? sure he's very long and skilled but just wondering if we're looking to turn the corner on things by next year vs. investing in another development.

If we were able to lock down a good 3-D wing in free agency then i'd be all for investing in developmental potential with the #18.

At 31, i'd never really heard of or seen Paul Reed - looking at his potential though he seems like a good match - didn't see much highlights of him in terms of his rim running abilities but if he could do 70% of what Powell does, his defense would be a huge improvement there. He's got that funny hitch to his shot too. I like his activity on defense and his blocks/steals rate is one of if not the highest.

I'm also wondering about Xavier Tillman - again a high blocks/steals rate - pretty skilled big man with good defensive chops. Anyone coming out of MSU you wonder if they'll be the next Draymond. From what i've seen is a smart player and a willing passer as expected coming from coach Izzo.

So for me i was thinking/hoping 3/D wing at 18 and defense first big at 31. Poku is intriguing for sure but only if we think we can upgrade with a good 3/D wing through FA.
I agree about a 3-D wing and there are several that would make sense for us like Josh Green, RJ Hampton, Saddiq Bey, Tyler Bey, Desmond Bane, Devin Vassell, Aaron Nesmith, and Patrick Williams.
Those last 3 would have to be traded for but I agree one of those on the list will most likely be in a Mavs uniform next season if we keep the pick.

I just think the upside of Poku is too high for Donnie to pass up. His game still seems similar to Ginobli's to me but in a longer body and even though he may not fill an immediate need, he could solidify our frontline rotation and contribute on both ends.
There will be some development time for him but in our system I don't think it will take as long as some are predicting. Long, decent defender, can shoot, can handle the ball like a guard, and seems to have a good BBIQ. His weaknesses (lack of strength, inconsistent shooter, foul prone, etc...) should all strengthen with maturity.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote