View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #509
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I just like Billups. He made me laugh when he was with ESPN. Mainly due to how he was seen as both a genius(he's not ftr) and a mentor to the special needs kid next to him aka Paul Pierce. He has no HC experience but there was no vet coach outside of Atkinson I really wanted of the names being thrown out around here. But Billups is respected as a former player as well. Outside of the recent reporting of Kidd being liked by basically every star player, which I can only imagine is because he was a HOF player because as a coach I see nothing to latch onto. Bucks literally went from mediocre to 60 wins the year he left and Bud was hired. But I'm supposed to be optimistic that Kidd learned something after 2 yrs as an assistant coaching Lebron, who likely doesn't need all that much coaching... and learning under Vogel?

My main top choice was Atkinson but I'd literally take almost every name mentioned so far on this board over Kidd because I have placed him firmly in the great player mediocre coach category like Bird and Ewing and every other one you want to throw out until I see otherwise. Maybe He and Nico get us free agents. If he does then all we need is a quality staff supporting him. I like that we seem to be hiring JJ as I always thought he'd be great as a players coach and even good in player development. I'm optimistic about Terry but not as much as JJ. We need some veterans on the staff though.
I've seen this a few times. I think we are unfairly attributing the next season success to Kidd. IMO, it has more to do with the fact he didn't have Jabari Parker at all, who was playing well for them the year prior and obviously before his injury. Also another year of improvement from Giannis, though perhaps not as much as Brogdon and the addition of Brook Lopez. Then midseason stuff like Nikola Mirotic and Goerge Hill.

It's also widely rumored Giannis was pushing to retain Kidd as coach. An idea of which seems to align with a lot of players around the league in their respect and endorsement for Kidd.

I just think it's odd a guy with barely any coaching experience is more desired than someone who been at it for a while, with HC experience. That in and of itself is enough for me to want Kidd, despite whatever success or non-success he's had at previous stops. I just view it differently, and think he's smart enough to adjust his styles.

Totally agree with the second part though. I've said it elsewhere that his coaching staff will be very important. The Terry and Barea rumors I view more mid to end of bench coaching, but would welcome in the right roles.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote