View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #112
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

1994 was a spectacular year in movies. Over the year, four films were released that ranged from great to almost perfect. Sadly, only three of these films were nominated for Best Picture, and frankly, the worst of the four I have in mind won. *

The movie that should have won was tonight's film, Pulp Fiction.

I hadn't really sat down and paid attention to this film in a while, and thus forgotten what a grand achievement of cinema it is. Using non-linear story telling techniques pioneered by Kurosawa and Kubrick, Tarantino tells the story of several different members of the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles.

Tarantino's reputation of resurrecting careers was made from this picture. Travolta had faded into obscurity before Pulp Fiction, but was reborn after its' release. Samuel L. Jackson gives the best performance of his career as Jules. Bruce Willis, Uma Thurman and Ving Rhames are all memorable, and Chris Walken's watch speech is up there with the greatest movie speechs of all time. (As are some of Jules' speechs, for that matter.)

I feel like I'm just repeating myself, but maybe it's just because I'm picking so many good films. If you haven't seen this movie, see it. If you have, watch it again. Greatness.

*In case anyone cares, here are the four movies I was referencing, in my order of ranking.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Hoop Dreams (not only failed to be nominated for Best Picture, but wasn't even nominated for Best Documentary. Complete Travesty)
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Forrest Gump (Best Picture winner)

Last edited by SaltwaterChaffy; 01-28-2006 at 03:28 AM.
SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote