View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
"Kookiness" comes from having ideas that are out of the mainstream. When mainstream ideas are radical, extremist and stupid, ideas that are sensible and prudent indeed seem kooky...kooky because they are unfamiliar, not because they are unwise.
That's what I just said. "unfamiliar" is entirely dependent on how well you can communicate. If your ideas are just a tiny bit outside of mainstream, but you can't communicate them, you will be treated as a kook. If your ideas are far from mainstream, but you communicate them very well, you will not. If Ron Paul and his followers had toned down the rhetoric, and perhaps made some sacrifices of their own, rather than telling everyone that they are extreme, radical, and stupid, they might have convinced them of their own sensibility.

Quote:
And I beg to differ...it's not a question of "safety first". Nobody is debating whether the US should protect itself, the question is whether leading the charge in a worldwide democratic revolution is a means of protecting the US. .
What do you mean "beg to differ?" You just added to, not disagreed with my post. The debate concerns "safety first." If you and your guru weren't more interested in arguing against people and were more interested in discussing with people, you might not be so hopelessly kooky.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote