View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Quote:
However, to have such huge holes at two positions in the defensive backfield, it pushes the need for a solid DB further up the list. You can cover for one player in the defensive backfield at times, but it's almost impossible to cover for two.
Valid point. My top three on the list just back up my feeling that you have to be strong up front first and foremost.

Secondly I’m thinking, and I could be wrong, that safety will be one of the easier positions to fill if you’re just looking for a solid guy. You don’t have to run a 4.4 to play the position and often times you can get by with a vet whose lost a step…maybe even a former corner. I haven’t looked at the FA list but I’m hoping we can find a value FA or a cap casualty. I just wouldn’t put a lot of money into safety when you look at what we’re paying Roy and the other glaring holes on the team.

Corner is almost the same story, we’re paying big money to Newman and I just wouldn’t sink too much money into the position before shoring up the front four.

Quote:
Two, I don't see the need for a power running back per say. I do see the need for a backup running back, but if he's a clone of Julius Jones just not quite as good then I'm happy with that. They need a good backup running back. Obviously, one with some power would be great, but I don't see the need to specifically look for the power running back. I don't see Julius Jones as a guy without power.
I wouldn’t sacrifice a quality scat back to just get a power back either. I’m just kind of echoing Bill’s sentiment from Friday’s press conference. Asked what kind of back he’d ideally like to have to back up Julius, he said that you’d like to have a little variety (style wise), but his first choice would be the elusive guy. Well we already have the elusive guy in Julius. The question is, can he be more consistent running routs and catching the ball out of the backfield. After a slow start, his showed some promise in this area Sunday night.