View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 04:05 AM   #1653
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Did you actually look at this list?
Yes. I actually looked at it. Is that actually a question?

Before you chime in about how most of those guys on that list were crap and/or only played a handful of games, that further illustrates my point. Short of studying in detail the non-NBA careers of every single name on that list, I'm just going to go ahead and guess that most of them washed out of the league at least partially because of their health. If you want to pour through every name and study their injury histories, go right ahead.

MFFL above mentioned that most of them were spares (as if that bolsters the argument that there isn't a legitimate health concern.) You asked earlier if there was a difference between 7'0 and 7'2, and how so few people are above 7'2. Well, that's a difference, then, isn't it? There are WAY more players in the NBA today and throughout history that are 7'0 than there are 7'3 and above. And beyond that, there are exponentially more players in the NBA today and throughout history that were actually any f**king good. If there are 26 players in the history of the league 7'3 and above, and if most of them sucked donkey balls so hard at basketball that they never played more than a game or two... well that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the durabilty of super tall players.

So AT VERY BEST, assuming their health wasn't a factor at all in their failure at basketball, it further reduces the sample size. So then lets look at the guys who actually had careers in the NBA. Again, ALL BUT ONE OF THEM WAS FREQUENTLY INJURED.

So yeah. I looked at the list. You disagree with my analysis? That's perfectly fine. But I'm certain my view is in the majority and is the conventional wisdom.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 09-05-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote