View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
toucandave

toucandave is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Pink Floyd reurns!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Syd Barrett won't be there, and so it won't really be a true reunion. Barrett was the best and most gifted of the founding members. Their stuff was never the same after they fired him.
I have no problem with Syd, Astronomy Domine is pretty kick ass, but that dude flaked out from drugs and supposedly went way looney. It's not like they didn't like the guy and fired him...he just left mentally and physically. Stopped showing up to the gigs. So they brought Gilmour in incase Barrett was a no-show. Wish You Were Here was about missing Syd. Wishing he was there along for the ride. I'm sure you know all this. And I'm also sure you know Floyd would NEVER have been as bad-assed if Syd remained as their front man. Waters with his in depth poetry, and Gilmour with his amazing guitar and smokey voice is what made this band. Barrett was just an old friend with an idea.

Roger tried bringing in "all-stars" to replace David when he went solo. But the sound was never the same.

David kept the band and had a similar sound, but never had the insightful and misty lyrics (or Roger's slightly psychotic voice). A shell of the former Floyd.

Together again. It's like the Beatles reuniting. Hopefully it won't be for just one show.
toucandave is offline   Reply With Quote