View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Bush may raise taxes to bolster SS- I agree with that!!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
He did acknowledge that the private accounts "don't fix the system."
I don't think anyone tried to sell private accounts as "fixing" the current system. It is, however, a better alternative for the American worker.

And reeds, I am glad to see you take this stance. Shocked really, but proud nonetheless. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
U2, Bush IS selling private accounts as a "fix". here's the quote from Bush's State of the Union speech:

As we fix Social Security, we also have the responsibility to make the system a better deal for younger workers. And the best way to reach that goal is through voluntary personal retirement accounts
In that section, the goal is "to make the system a better deal for younger workers." And I think Bush is saying that "voluntary personal retirement accounts" is "the best way to reach that goal."

I agree that the notion that capping the money taxed at $90,000.00 is arbitrary, without going into discussions of income, I would be fundamentally opposed to any system that forces me to pay more into a system that I would not receive a benefit from. We talk about keeping the promises made to older generations, but what about the promises made to each young worker as money is taken out of their paycheck every week when there is no evidence that the money will be there when those younger workers retire?

It is a fair question.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote