View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #28
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...las-over-shaq/

We're all trying to find an explanation for the Miami Herald's improbable report that the Heat are on the precipice of sending Shaquille O'Neal to Phoenix for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks. Here's a theory, with some anchor in the Herald's report: Phoenix is messing with Dallas.

Since Shaq was first hoisted on the trade buffet by Los Angeles in 2004, Dallas has been a key figure in any/all rumors. Maybe it's Mark Cuban's deep pockets, maybe it's the eternal thirst to hold a matchup advantage with San Antonio... but Dallas always gets connected to Shaq. And guess what? The Herald's Barry Jackson mentions the Mavericks:

Dallas also has been mentioned as a potential destination, though the Heat had not immediately informed O'Neal of that possibility.

So here's my theory: Phoenix wants to a) drive the price of Shaq up, or b) fright Dallas into a rash move for Big Aristotle. Because seriously, Shaq in Phoenix makes no sense. Shaq in Dallas... for say, Jerry Stackhouse, Erick Dampier and Devean George? Dallas plays a half-court game, with little systemic ball movement and lots of slow structure.

Shaq's overpriced for his production in any locale. But the Mavericks could likely squeeze the most out of him while absorbing the financial repercussions. It doesn't mean a trade makes sense, but it's worth keeping in mind once someone debunks these Phoenix rumors.
In lots of circumstances, that scenario could be plausible. But in this one, I don't think it's likely in the least.

Why? Because they told Shaq. The reporter got the story, and the papers' fact checkers called Shaq's reps who said, "Yes, Shaq has indeed been informed he may get traded, and he's pissed." Independent verification.

And although Miami undoubtedly wants to drive the price up, they aren't going to tell their star player, "You are close to being traded and we don't want you to be shocked, so here's a heads up" unless something is getting real close to happening.

That doesn't mean this is a done deal, or that it's going to happen without a doubt. But it tells me that the idea is almost certainly genuine not fake. (And from a few whispers I've heard - which I don't know whether to trust or not - this deal is being driven by Kerr who wants a team that can win a title, requiring a bit of alteration from run-n-gun to something a bit more traditional. Shaq would be the C instead of Amare, and Amare would be the PF instead of Marion, and all the perimeter gunners would stay the same.)
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote