View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #221
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
All the attributes you just mentioned about Marion I would agree with, and praise him for, but wouldn't necessarily attribute them to High BBall IQ. I see Marion is a freak athlete and a profoundly instinctual player. I don't watch him and think, "This guy really thinks the game."

As a matter of fact, I tend to think of Marion as a non cerebral player. Contrasted with guys like Kidd, CP3,Kobe, or Nash who clearly "think the game" on a different level.

1 quick example on Marion jumps to mind: I see him make FAR too many boneheaded/thoughtless passes for me to consider him as a guy who is playing with a great mind for the game.

And it is certainly feels like hyperbole to call him at a top 5-10 IQ guy.

To each his own though. BBIQ is certainly a subjectively ranked category.

Having said all that, I do agree that Marion is a vastly underrated player over his career.
I don't think you are giving nearly enough credit to spacing, knowing the other players tendencies and funneling him to the right spot. I think Shawn is limited offensively mainly because of hands and handles, but defensively I think he is very cerebral.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote